Hi, hello, what's up my name is Katie, and I'm an ADHD (LGBTQ+) artist! I mean duh you found this blog on an artist's

website. There's a lot I have to say so let's start with who I am.

Who's this weirdo?
My name is Katie, and my art business is KT Chock's Artwork. So original I know but you know it's just me making the art and I couldn't think of a cool name to use for my business. So I went with KT because that is how I sign my pieces.

I have had a long roller coaster ride with art where I use to draw and paint a lot as a kid, I fell out of it for a while then started back up again in high school. I did draw a lot for fun but then I really enjoyed doing photography. I started college as a photography major but then changed my major to history because I didn't want to be a starving artist... but here we are now. I had stopped drawing because I didn't have the time for it and I focused all my energy on being a historian but I still liked doing art every now and then. Well, I fell for the greatest lie: if you go to college and work really hard you can do whatever you want.

History did not work out for me since I was to be a curator or an exhibit manager for an art museum, and after 6 years of just being stuck behind a gift shop counter being turned down for job opportunities by old white men who didn't think I was capable, I said no more. And with a huge support system, I became an artist starting 2019-2020 (I can't remember cause what even is time?). I had started doing more art with friends like painting nights and just started drawing again I felt I wanted to make art my career now. Insert cliche: and I never looked back.

What Kind of Art Do I Make?
Well, I started my art career doing landscape paintings with acrylic paints. I was a big Bob Ross fan when I was a kid and he very much inspired me. I also just love doing road trips and being a part of nature. My paintings were inspired by places I have been to. For the first year and a half, all I did was paint landscapes. While I do love painting and very much enjoy doing landscape I knew I eventually wanted to do digital art and make characters.

Fast forward to December 2021 I was given my first/current Ipad. That's when I started my more in-depth digital art career, with my Ipad and Procreate. Now I'm a full-on digital artist that primarily works on Procreate, Photoshop, and learning Clip Studio.

Now I'm a huge nerd there's no secret to that. So I draw a lot of nerdy things. Original things like my dice landscape to fan art of Critical Role, anime, etc! Because I draw such nerdy things I am a convention artist. Basically, I go to comic, anime, and nerdy conventions around the US and I sell my artwork at artist alley booths!


I love being a convention artist and I love making fan art that makes people smile about their favorite characters. But I'm not just a fan art artist.



Why Does This Blog Exist?
That's a good question there are so many artists and art blogs/vlogs to follow why read what I have to say? I want this blog to be a mix of a lot of things: who am I as an artist, my art journey, and tips and tricks for those who want them.

Who am I as an Artist: well I'm a person who has untreated ADHD, I have untreated ADHD because when I did take medicine for it I felt like a hollow shell of myself and I hated it. I hated being on those medications. I know I know there is better medication and it may take a while for me to find the right now. But I'm currently in a headspace where I'm not ready to try the medication at this moment. I know it will help I just hated who I was on that medication.

So I want this to be a space for my thoughts on what it's like being an ADHD artist and I also want this to be a space for those who are ADHD as well. I want you to know you're not alone.

I'm also (I guess) a part of the LGBTQ+. Why do I say I guess well a lot of me being in my 30's is unlearning what life is supposed to be like and what I thought life was supposed to be during my 20's.

I'm a demisexual (for those who don't know: a sexual orientation in which an individual does not experience primary sexual attraction – the type of attraction that is based on immediately observable characteristics such as appearance or smell and is experienced immediately after a first encounter). Basically, I gotta know more than your name and establish an emotional bond before I do anything sexual. I also feel like I'm pansexual *shrug* (look if Zoe Saldana came up to me and said let's go, I'm not going to question anything), but I have been told in the past I'm not gay enough to be considered pansexual. But I have been attracted to those who are transmasculine, and more masculine presenting non-binary people. I mean does that make me pansexual? But what do I know?

Anyway, not trying to throw shade. What I want this blog for the LGBTQ+ community is to feel welcome and heard, I want them to feel this is a safe space as well. And if you're still figuring yourself out like I am, that is ok too. BE GAY DO CRIMES!




My Artist Journey: Look when I was drawing I wasn't that good and I was a teenager just wanting to draw for fun not thinking my career would be something like how it is now. With that said I'm still not the best artist and you know I never will be the best artist of all time. I still have a lot to learn as an artist for not only my skill but my business side as well. I haven't fully discovered who I am as an artist.

I don't know my style yet, I still have found my full niche yet. I'm getting there and I lean more toward nerdy art, illustrations, and character design. But I want to do more than just fan art at conventions. I have many plans for myself and my art career. I do original work I just feel like all I do is fan art nowadays.

I also want to show my art journey to others to show we all start somewhere and with time and practice we all get there.

So watch me on my journey to become a better artist discovering who I am and watching my work get better over the course of time.

Tips and tricks: I hate gatekeeping information that could help someone be a better artist. I hate the answer: find out yourself. It can be overwhelming to ask the right questions and find the answers you're looking for when starting a business or learning about art. It felt like I was floating in space with zero direction as to where to go or where to start out for things and the void of unknowing what to do felt so strong. I like to give people a base to start on. I won't have all the answers you're looking for but I hope I can help.

So I'm going to try my best to give as many tips, and tricks and answer questions for those who need it with links and other things you might need. My answers are not the end all say all of the art world, there are many others who are willing to give great advice it just takes some research of your own as well.


That was a lot to say so I'll just end this after this last message

When Will This Blog be Posting Thing?
I uhhhhh... Don't ask an ADHD person that lol. Because right now I have the motivation and focus for it who is to say that I will be on top of it? I will have months were I'm feeling overwhelmed by everything or my brain will tell me I don't have time to make a post. Even if it's just 5 minutes by brain says no there is something more important that needs to be done.

So with that, my goal is to post at least once a month maybe twice.


That's it for now! Bye thank you!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego Comic Con